- The car swerved to avoid the deer and plunged over the cliff.
- She goes for a swim but can’t come back, for she has become a mermaid.
- I refuse to sulk. I’m going to do something about this.
- A blocked number repeatedly calls your mobile phone. After days, you answer, only to hear a whispered, “Mom? I need help!”
- You discover a new breed of flower growing in the forest behind your house.
- Natives in a jungle who don’t know of photography kidnap a photojournalist.
- You see bullet holes in the promotional poster of your new business.
- “Yeah, but you can put anything into a salad,” he said with a wink.
- Write about a world where colors are always changing. Blue is not always blue. Red is not always red.
- Write about favorite childhood memory that seems like just yesterday.
- A Feng-shui consultant puts a curse on you after you prove him wrong.
- Include the following words in your story: cinnamon; sledge-hammer; camera; ball of yarn; pajamas; bulletin board.
- The red rooster is too tired to wake up the farm and everyone sleeps in.
- The phone rings. You answer and a man on the other end says…
- When she returns home, your character finds the window broken and a meteorite burning a hole in the rug.
Prompts from: Apple Apps Store, Writing Prompts by 21 x 20 Media, Inc. Download with iTunes here and from Writing.com. With grammar and typos of prompts corrected, copy-edited and tweaked for relevance.